In this article:
- Snacks can tide you over between meals. They can help you lose weight by preventing overeating at the next meal.
- Healthy snacks are low in calories. They are high in nutrients.
- Lark can guide you towards healthier snacks and other food choices for weight loss.
If you are trying to lose weight, you may be eating smaller meals. That can make you feel hungry sooner after a meal. And if you get too hungry before the next meal, any of these can happen.
- You may eat too much at the next meal.
- You may opt for a convenient and unhealthy snack.
- You may make poor choices at the next meal or snack. High-fat, sugary, or starch-laden foods may be most appealing.
No Cost Health Kit to Lower Your Risk of Diabetes
Healthy snacks can keep you on track with weight loss. They can reduce hunger while keeping you within your calorie goals. And they can have valuable nutrients.
A healthy snack should have 1 to 3 of the following.
- Protein, such as from fish, low-fat dairy, chicken, egg, or beans
- Whole grain, such as whole-wheat bread or pasta, oats, brown rice, whole-grain cereal
- Healthy fat, such as from nuts, peanuts, olive oil, or avocado
And it should meet these criteria.
- Low in sugar, refined starch, and solid fats.
- Easy to prepare.
These are 40 healthy snacks that can help you lose weight. Each has no more than 200 calories. They all contain nutrient-dense foods. And they are easy to prepare and taste great!
Vegetable Snacks for Weight Loss
- 1 cup of celery sticks and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1 cup of bell pepper strips with 2 tablespoons of hummus
- Eggplant dip (baba ghanouj) made with pureed eggplant, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic, served with raw vegetables
- ½ cup of cauliflower florets with ¼ cup of guacamole
- Baked kale chips with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and (optional) parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of sliced zucchini or eggplant, grilled with olive oil and served with 1 ounce of low-fat cheese
- ½ cup of corn mixed with ½ cup of chopped vegetables and 2 tablespoons of light vinaigrette dressing
- ½ baked sweet potato with ½ cup of fat-free Greek yogurt
Fruit Snacks for Weight Loss
- ½ cup of apple slices and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 1 medium apple, pear, or banana
- ½ ounce of unsweetened or at least 75% dark chocolate and 5 strawberries
- 2 tangerines or 1 large orange
- 1 sliced pear spread with 1 ounce of blue or goat cheese
- 1 cup of baby carrots and ¼ cup of tzatziki
- ½ cup chopped cucumber with 1 ounce of feta cheese, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, ½ cup of halved grape tomatoes, squeeze of lemon juice, and oregano
- 1 banana with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- ½ avocado
Protein Snacks for Weight Loss
- 1 low-fat string cheese stick
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1 container of plain Greek yogurt
- Caprese salad with 1 ounce of mozzarella cheese, sliced tomato, fresh basil, and 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- ½ cup of fat-free refried beans
- ½ cup of cottage cheese
- ½ cup of cottage cheese with ¾ cup of sliced peaches
- Pouch of tuna or 3 to 5 ounces of canned tuna
- ½ cup of edamame (green soybeans)
- ½ cup of garbanzo beans
- 16 almonds
- 12 walnut halves
Whole-Grain Snacks for Weight Loss
- 3 cups of air-popped popcorn
- 1 packet of plain instant oatmeal
- 2 large brown rice cakes
- 1 large brown rice cake with 1 tablespoon of peanut or almond butter
- ⅓ cup of cooked brown rice with 1 ounce of low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 slice of whole-grain bread with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Tortilla roll-up with 1 whole-grain tortilla, ¼ cup of low-fat cottage cheese, and chopped lettuce and tomato
- ⅓ cup of leftover cooked whole-grain pasta mixed with 1 ounce of low-fat cheddar cheese and ½ cup of chopped tomatoes
- Pizza with ½ whole-grain English muffin with tomato sauce and low-fat cheese
- Half whole-wheat pita with 1 tablespoon of hummus and shredded lettuce
- Quesadilla with small whole-grain tortilla with 1 ounce of low-fat cheese
No Cost Health Kit to Lower Your Risk of Diabetes
Losing weight can lower your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and that’s not all. When you lose a few extra pounds, energy levels can increase, cholesterol and blood pressure can improve, and clothes fit better. Best of all is that Lark makes weight loss simple!
Lark doesn’t just know which choices can lead to weight loss. Lark coaches you on how to make good choices that can become habits. With small changes that fit right into your lifestyle, you can drop pounds and lower your risk for type 2 diabetes. Your personal coach is available 24/7 through your smartphone so you can get expert tips, track meals, physical activity, and weight loss.
The entire program may be available at no cost to you if your health insurer covers it. Click here to find out if you may be eligible for Lark! You could be minutes away from taking the first steps to hitting your weight loss goals and improving health.
Looking for a Diabetes Prevention Program?
You could be eligible for Lark – at no cost to you. Find out in 1 minute!